There are many Office 365 migration tools out there but it is not easy to determine which one is the best for who and why. We collected and overviewed the 5 best SharePoint to Office 365 migration tools, based on different criteria.
Using a migration tool to move SharePoint to Office 365, instead of other migration options has a number of advantages. In our post ‘How to migrate SharePoint to Office 365 and SharePoint Online‘ we already discussed other forms of migration, as well as how to plan and manage your migration. Therefore, to move on to some of the concrete upsides of using a migration tool:
- Keeps meta data – an essential advantage of using a migration tool. With most other options, the author and creation/modification date is overwritten by the time and person moving the data.
- Moving large sets of documents. Other forms of migration either limit you to a one-by-one approach or set a file maximum that can be moved.
- Migration functionalities can move not only documents but entire sites, libraries and folder structures.
- Solve file duplication issues, as well as the ability to handle special characters.
- Pre-migration check services are either built into these tools or come with them. These are especially relevant as they ensure your SharePoint is ready to move.
- Additional features described later.
The powerful capabilities these migration tools deliver come at a price. Although exact pricing depends on the tool of your choice, a certain level of investment is necessary to calculate with.
Probably needless to mention, but the use of these tools and the setting up of the migration process is a significant time investment. So there is a great need for proper scheduling and planning.
Try our interactive demo
Metalogix, MetaVis (now owned by Metalogix), AvePoint, ShareGate, and BitTitan are generally considered as the best SharePoint migration software. They all include migration to Office 365 / SharePoint Online, as well as migration between all other versions of SharePoint. Moreover, each migration tool has a functionality available to check your version of SharePoint before migration. They all have free trials available as well. The selected features mentioned below also include the ones highlighted on the websites of the various vendors.
A SharePoint and Office 365 migration solution. However, Metalogix positions the Content Matrix as the leading product for SharePoint server (on-premises) to SharePoint server migrations. The Content Matrix follows pricing per gigabyte. Metalogix products can be purchased directly from Metalogix or one of their resellers. The Content Matrix includes the Migration Expert, tutorials and a free 15-day trial.
- No server side installation
- Keep current farm running
- Site Collection migration
- Rearrange post-migration
- Split or merge lists
- Externalize BLOBS before migration
- Migrate Nintex Workflows and discrete elements
- Advanced analysis & migration capabilities
- Unlimited users, content, scale & power
- Consolidate personal & team content into SharePoint & OneDrive
- Update structure, permissions & meta data during your migration
- Reorganize content at any time through the SharePoint interface
The Metalogix Office 365 solutions product suite also includes the Migration Expert, a free tool which provides a complete assessment of your source SharePoint environment. It highlights key content, customizations, security and storage metrics that will assist the migration process.
Metalogix Essentials for Office 365 (previously Metavis)
The Essentials for Office 365 migrator is part of the suite of products Metalogix acquired from MetaVis in 2016. Metalogix positions this suite as the preferred tool for customers moving to Office 365. The product is licensable on its own. Typically the suite license comes per gigabytes and the number of users. As with the other Metalogix product, the Essentials solution also comes with the Migration Expert, tutorials and a 15-day trial.
- Migrate content from Google Drive
- Schedule and automate
- Granular file control plus platform agnostic
- Field preservation and conversion
- Move content from almost anywhere easily with zero downtime
- Report on migration success and how people are using Office 365
- Manage users, licenses and content with a single click from your desktop
- Protect Office 365 with enhanced control over user access & permissions
AvePoint’s DocAve Migrator is part of a full suite of products offered by AvePoint. Thus, it particularly benefits firms looking to buy the entire suite. AvePoint products are offered directly by AvePoint and also by resellers. The free AvePoint Discovery Tool can be used to carry out a pre-migration analysis and compatibility check. Again, tutorials are included, as well a 30 free trial period, which is the longest among these 5 service providers.
- Security trimming
- Customizable and reusable migration plans
- Full or incremental migration
- Migration with full fidelity
- Source and destination environment coexistence during migration
- Online or offline migration
- Data synchronization with customized scheduling
Users like ShareGate for its simplicity and attractive pricing. Customers wanting to purchase can either buy online or from a reseller. ShareGate prices their product by the user quantity. With the exception of Sharegate, each company requires different client installations on either WFE or App servers. Although, while Sharegate offers a lower initial price point, it is per individual user per year and needs renewing. Metalogix and AvePoint, on the other hand, allow team accessibility for no extra cost. The Sharegate Pre-Migration Check feature is built into the migration tool. Like the Metalogix tools, Sharegate also has a free 15 day trial period.
- Unlimited data migration
- Unlimited technical support
- No server installation
- Migrate Nintex Workflows, Sites and Subsites
- Granular migration
- Change List URL and name
- Change Site Templates, Collections, URL and name
- Merge existing Sites
- Promote Site to Site Collection
SharePoint Comparison Matrix
The SharePoint Comparison Matrix of these four tools can also be downloaded via the link.
The compared categories are:
- High-level features
- Farm, Site and Content migration
- Importing and Exporting files
- Supported Versions
- Support and Backup
- End User Content Management
- Office 365 and OneDrive Migration/Management
- Licensing Model, Costs and Fees
- Usability and Interface
- Links, as well as GUI Screenshots of Metalogix and Sharegate (included in worksheet tabs)
Also used regularly because of its simplicity, BitTitan requires no specialized training, an email administrator can run all of your migration. It is also possible to prioritize migration. Hence, you can select which files to move immediately or schedule them to migrate them in the future. MSPComplete also prices itself per end user, but in case of 10 users or more, they do allow an unlimited member number for a set period. BitTitan can also estimate the cost of migration for you. It also has a cloud readiness assessment, platform tour and live demo available.
- 100% cloud based – no server side install
- Secure data transfer – data encrypted at all times
- Automation migration
- Intelligent filtering
- No upgrade path required
- Keep existing file hierarchies and permissions (where possible)
- Google Sites transfer supported
- Free 24/7 online support
- Free to start
Data stays in Office 365 / SharePoint Online at all times, making SimplySo perfect as a UI for all users in a small organization or as an additional UI for certain user groups in larger organizations. It’s simple.