With an Office 365 subscription that includes SharePoint Online, you can use any mobile device and any browser to work on your sites in SharePoint Online.
Thus get SharePoint mobile!
The importance of remote and 24/7 collaboration and work opportunities cannot be overemphasized in today’s business world. Therefore SharePoint Online is accessible from mobile devices now as well. Supported devices include Windows Phone, iPhone and iPad, Android Phone, Nokia (Symbian OS), and BlackBerry devices. However, this design is certainly not flawless and achieving the optimal view is still a challenge. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.
What you can do from an internet-connected smartphone or tablet:
- Open documents you recently used in Word, PowerPoint, or Excel, including both documents shared with you and the ones you follow in SharePoint Online
- Find sites, both followed ones and those promoted by administrators
- Navigate links to move from OneDrive for Business to SharePoint or the other way around
- Open your browser
- Type in the URL for SharePoint Online including your domain name
- Sign in using Office 365 credentials
- Navigate at the top of the screen to Sites and pick the one you need
Try our interactive demo
Browsing SharePoint mobile
Microsoft has released multiple improvements to the mobile browser experience. However, an easy browser experience is still not available for all devices or browsers.
Depending on your browser, your options are:
- Contemporary view – This is the optimized SharePoint mobile user experience. It operates on HTML5 and is therefore available on Microsoft Explorer 9.0 and later, Windows Phone, and Safari version 4.0 or later.
- Classic view – Works on HTML format or similar markup languages like CHTML, WML, and so on. Identical to the mobile browser experience of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.
View the optimal SharePoint mobile user interface
To be able use the optimal SharePoint mobile user interface, the feature Mobile Browser Viewer must be activated. This allows SharePoint to check your browser to see if it can operate HTML5. This feature is activated by default if collaboration templates, meeting templates or enterprise templates are open. For other site templates you need to manually activate the feature in Site Settings under Site Actions and Manage Site features.
Full screen SharePoint user interface
It is possible to view your sites in both a SharePoint mobile view as well as a full-site view called PC view. When in mobile view, tap Settings and tap Switch to PC View. The view changes to the full-site PC view. To go back to the mobile view, tap Settings and tap Mobile view from the drop-down list.
SimplySo for SharePoint Online mobile
SimplySo is a transparent interaction layer for SharePoint Online that still enables you to work in SharePoint but lets you view an easy-to-use and familiar user interface. Requires nothing but a sign-in with your usual Office 365/ SharePoint credentials.
SimplySo is already built in responsive HTML5 and runs on Microsoft Azure, adapting perfectly to any device with a browser. Therefore, as SimplySo runs in HTML5 the optimal SharePoint mobile user interface view is enabled for all smartphone or tablet users.
Data stays in Office 365 / SharePoint Online at all times, making SimplySo perfect as a UI for all users in a small organization or as an additional UI for certain user groups in larger organizations. It’s simple.